At the junction of XII-XIII centuries was founded Moscow monastery in the name of the All-Merciful Saviour by Holy Nobleborn Russian Prince Daniil Alexandrovich - younger son of the first ruler of the Moscow principality of Alexander Nevsky. Originally, the monastery was located on the outskirts of the city, where now is located Danilov monastery, and later in 1330 Prince Ivan Kalita (Daniil son) has moved Spassky monastery to Borovitskii hill, on the territory of the current Kremlin. On this true religionists Ivan Kalita was prompted by, as he said himself: «близ себе учини ю, хоть всегда въ дозоре видети ю».
In 1382 Tatar-Mongol hordes under the leadership of Khan Tokhtamysh came to Moscow. The monastery was plundered and burned down by nomads, and the abbot Simeon was killed. Subsequently, the monastery was restored by Dmitry Donskoy.
In 1491 Prince Ivan III had commanded to move monastery on Krutitskii hill, not far from the Kremlin and at the same time was laid first stone in the foundation of the temple in honor of Transfiguration of the Lord.
Since ancient times, on the monastery territory had been buried the representatives of the great boyars.
In vague times the monastery was ruined by Poles, Lithuanians and Russian traitors. Later Tsar Michael took a lot of effort in order to restore shrine.
In times of abbot Nikon (the future patriarch), in 1647 the monastery was donated the miraculous icon of Christ the Savior.
In the times of Peter I monastery received great support, it was donated a large bell, although in other monasteries bells were melted in cannons. After the reign of Peter I the monastery fell into decline (during the reign of Empress Anna Ivanovna there was located a refuge for disabled soldiers non-Orthodox belief).
In 1812 Novospassky monastery was desecrated by Napoleonic invaders. Was brutally tortured, and only miraculously survived old man - father Nicodemus (abbot of the monastery).
In the 1850-1870 years, under the rule of Archimandrite Agapit, monastery became exemplary, on it were equaled many Russian monasteries.
But the hardest time has come for the monastery, when "Red Plague" has absorbed Holy Russia. In 1918, theomachists have arranged in the monastery concentration camp in the form of women's prison, and later - "forced labor camp."
In 1935, all the buildings of the monastery were given to the NKVD, who built there archive, potato storage and stock of confiscated furniture. But this was not enough for fanatics and they decided to blow up the monastery, but it has not happened just because the Great Patriotic War has started. After the war bullying under the shrine continued: first there was arranged sobering-up station, and then were created «Museum of history and contemporary practice of restoration in the USSR», association "Union restoration" and VNII of restoration.
December 4, 1990 in the life of the monastery occurred a wonderful event - it was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.
Within the monastery are located such churches as: the Savior Transfiguration Cathedral, Pokrovsky Temple, Znamensky Temple and Nikolsky Temple.
In the Holy Transfiguration Cathedral are located:
- exact copy of the magnificent five-tier iconostasis of XVII century;
- copy of the miraculous icon The image of the Vernicle (original completely disappeared in 1926);
- Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God;
- exact copy of the miraculous image of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the original of which ( icon of the Mother of God "Vsetsaritsa") was written and is located on the Holy Mount Athos ( Monastery of Vatopedi). By the prayers near this image were fixed dozens of miraculous healings of people suffering cancer.
Under the vaults of the temple are buried 70 ancestors of Romanov House.
In the Znamensky temple is kept icon of Romanov's boyars – The icon of the Mother of God "The Omen".
Holidays (by the new style):
- 19 August - Transfiguration of the Lord;
- 14 October - Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Roman Melodist;
- 10 December - icon Mother of God "the Sign";
- 19 December - Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker.
Described above monastery is located: Moscow, Peasant Sq. № 10, Novospassky male monastery.