Types of forming words in English language
So that people could Express their ideas more colorfully, for many years in the English language new words. as well as any other acts as instrument for the enrichment of speech. In English there are many ways that the word education but the most common is only five.the
Methods of word formation in English:the
- decrease (abbreviation)
- composition (composition);
- suffixation (suffixation);
- prefixation (prefixation);
- conversion (conversion).
the Composition is the method by which independent words (2 and more ) by the method of addition appear absolutely new words: chess-player, fireplace, etc. With newly minted words can be written:the
- separately (fire brigade, stone wall, market place);
- hyphenated (cinema-goer, copy-book, holiday-maker);
- together (windowsill, postman, girlfriend).
Here you can easily understand the meaning of the word, for example:the
- text (text) + book (book) = book of texts the textbook (text-book);
- the fur (fur) + coat (coat) = fur coats, fur coat (furcoat);
- well (well) + pay (pay) = well-paid (well-paid);
Conversion is the method by which the word becomes another part of speech without any changes. For example: milk (milk) milk (to milk), picture (picture) to depict (to picture), water (water) water (to water).the
Suffixation and prefixation
Suffixation and prefixation is change a word using the prefix (suffix, prefix). If you will know the meaning of basic suffixes and prefixes, you will easily be able to find the word for familiar root.the
Reduction method is a method in which part of the abbreviated word (one letter in the case of abbreviations) has the same value as a whole word. For example:the
- burger (hamburger) hamburger
- rifle (rifle) rifle gun.
Abbreviations, in turn, is formed from the first letters or syllables.
the Classic acronym, LASER (LASER) formed from the phrase "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation" (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation).
Sometimes, are not only letters, but syllables, for example:
- the Gestapo (gestapo) of the national secret police (GEheime STAatsPOlizei);
- radar (radar) radiomaritime and ranging (RAdio Detection And Ranging).
There is also an unusual abbreviations, for example, when the letters are pronounced not according to the rules of pronunciation as in the English alphabet. This refers to the name of the organization. For example:the
- FYI for your information (for your information)
- 'll be back soon BRB (be right back)
- ROFL rolling on the floor laughing (rolling on the floor laughing)
- LOL rzhu can not (laughing out loud).