Rope - one of the main elements of the tourist equipment
Ropes for insurance in the mountains of the people the useCall from ancient times. The official history of their use in climbing begins from the time of first ascents in the Alps, in the XVIII century. First it was the twisted rope of flax, but they kept a jerk no more than 700 kg and not very safe (by the standards of today). At various times, we used a rope from the leaves of abaca, sisal agave of the oxwindows coconut, jute, hemp, flax, cotton, and so on. n. The disadvantage of these ropes was that they quickly get wet and dry out very slowly, so heavily exposed to rotting. A true revolution in the art of insurance carried appearance in the 1950s. synthetic ropes. They were stronger (ie withstand heavy jerks), stablebubbled to abrasion, less they get wet and dry quickly. Moreover, the weight of the synthetic rope is much less than with natural fibers. All this has allowed climbers and tourists to pass more complex and lengthy routes.
Now, synthetic ropes made of the following materials:
- Polyamide - (nylon, etc.). Efive ropes almost do not absorb water, does not rot, do not sweat. Among them is easily washed off the dirt;
- Polyester - nylon inferior in flexibility, but is more resistant to abrasion, but the string of this material are poorly kept KNOT;
- Polyethylene - the main advantage of these pitches - is their durability;
- Polypropylene - has a high breaking strength, not sink in water, wet string retains its strength and flexibility, although very weakly to chafing (ie sports tourism is not very suitable, use it more often sailors);
- Kevlar - aramid. On the strength of more than steel cables. Nedosremnants - the high price, low resistance to wetting, a small lifetime.
The only common disadvantage of all synthetic ropes, when compared with natural, is that their surface is more slippery, that is, we must be very careful when tying knots! For example, for very many yearsI considered reliable assembly « counter-conductor & raquo ;, it always used without control units. But synthetic string s slippery braids that node « crawling » and it was even a few cases where this has led to the injury. The same can be said of the grasping unit, kotoing with the introduction of synthetic ropes braided significantly lost their reliability.
Comparative characteristics of different types of fibers used in the manufacture of ropes and ropes.
What are the different types of ropes?
It is important not only from a materialwell made, but also how it is produced. Currently, there are two types of pitches: twisted and braided. With the same material and thickness of the twisted string has better strength and dynamic performance. However, because the wicker string , ands an carrier core and a sheath, it is better protected from mechanical damage and climatic influences. In such a rope core consists of several tens of thousands of threads that are spread over several braided or twisted wiring harness.